MARYVILLE, Tenn. – The Maryville (Tenn.) College Softball Team (3-1) picked up a doubleheader sweep of Emory & Henry College (3-4) on Tuesday afternoon. The Scots won both contests by 4-3 margins.
GAME ONE – Maryville (Tenn.) 4, Emory & Henry 3
GAME TWO – Maryville (Tenn.) 4, Emory & Henry 3
LOCATION – Maryville, Tennessee
VENUE – MC Softball Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 3-4 (0-0 ODAC); Maryville (Tenn.) 3-1 (0-0 USA South)
Game One – Maryville (Tenn.) 4, Emory & Henry 3
- MC got on the board in the bottom of the first thanks to a two-run double by Taylor Campbell.
- The Wasps closed the gap to 2-1 in the fourth on a pinch-hit single to right-center by junior Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.), but left a pair of runners stranded.
- In the fifth, Maryville added a pair of runs on a double by Alexus Murray to push the score to 4-1.
- Emory & Henry pushed two across in the top of the seventh on senior right fielder Rachel Smoot's (Riner, Va.) single to centerfield but could not get closer than the 4-3 final score.
- Katlyn Smith earned the complete-game win, scattering three runs on six hits with seven strikeouts.
- E&H junior Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing three earned runs on eight hits with five strikeouts. Sophomore Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) struck out all six batters she faced in relief.
Game Two – Maryville (Tenn.) 4, Emory & Henry 3
- Maryville broke open a scoreless game with three runs in the bottom of the fourth. Campbell doubled to left to get things started and two batters later Reid Ballard's single up the middle plated a pair.
- The Wasps got on the board in the top of the sixth as sophomore Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.) doubled down the left field line. Sophomore Kyndall Hiatt (Ararat, Va.) tied the contest, 3-3, with a single to shallow right field on the next at bat.
- In the bottom half of the frame, MC retook the lead, 4-3, after an error on a fielder's choice play. E&H got a runner on third base with two outs in the seventh, but suffered the 4-3 loss for a second time on the day.
- Casey Jolliff picked up the win, permitting just three runs on eight hits and one walk.
- Sophomore Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) took the loss for the Wasps, allowing one unearned run in relief with six strikeouts. Derr added five strikeouts as she went 3.2 innings as a starter.
- Emory & Henry will make the trip to Salem, Virginia and the James I. Moyer Sports Complex to play in the Mountain Mash this weekend. The Wasps will face four teams over the two-day event.
- E&H will start the day Friday with a game against SUNY Fredonia at noon, followed by a contest against Wilson College at 4:00 p.m.