SALEM, Va. – The #5 Emory & Henry College Softball Team (31-12) advanced to the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament championship game with a 3-1 victory over third-seeded Lynchburg College (30-11) Saturday afternoon.
E&H will appear in the ODAC title game for the second-straight year and third time in program history. The Wasps are now the only team in the tournament without a loss and have two opportunities to secure their second league title Sunday.
GAME ELEVEN – #5 Emory & Henry 3, #3 Lynchburg 1
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – James I. Moyer Sports Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 31-12 (9-9 ODAC); Lynchburg 30-11 (12-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After threatening in the top of the first inning, E&H got the scoring off to a start in the second. Sophomore second baseman Lyndsay Boyd (Abingdon, Va.) tagged a double down the left field line for a 2-0 lead.
- The Wasps extended their margin to 3-0 later in the frame as junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) singled up the middle to plate Boyd.
- Lynchburg avoided the shutout in the bottom of the fifth on a squeeze play by Skylar Dickens, driving in Haylee Wood.
- Emory & Henry sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) picked up the win, allowing just one run on four hits in 4.1 innings of work. Freshman Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) snagged the save, allowing one hit in the final 2.2 innings with a strikeout.
- LC senior hurler Conner English suffered the loss, allowing two runs on two hits in one-plus innings.
- Emory & Henry will play in the ODAC Championship game at 1:00 p.m., Sunday afternoon at the James I. Moyer Sports Complex in Salem, Virginia.
- If the "if necessary" game is required to crown this year's league champion, it will follow at 4:00 p.m.