SALEM, Va. – The #5 Emory & Henry College Softball Team picked up a pair of wins on Friday at the 2018 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Softball Tournament. The event marked its 22nd year being played at the James I. Moyer Sports Complex in Salem, Virginia.
The Wasps opened the day with a 6-5 come-from-behind victory over fourth-seeded Roanoke College and advanced in the winners' bracket with a 4-0 shutout win over #8 Guilford College.
GAME TWO – #5 Emory & Henry 6, #4 Roanoke 5
GAME SEVEN – #5 Emory & Henry 4, #8 Guilford 0
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – James I. Moyer Sports Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 30-12 (9-9 ODAC)
Game Two – #5 Emory & Henry 6, #4 Roanoke 5
- The Maroons opened up a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Kate Priester highlighted the frame with a two-run double to left center.
- RC extended its margin to 5-0 on a single to left field by Anna Clowdis in the second.
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the top of the fifth on a single to right field by junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.).
- In the top of the sixth, the Wasps scored five runs to take a 6-5 lead. Senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) tagged a solo home run over the left field fence to get things started while freshman third baseman Allyson Steadman (Kingsport, Tenn.) plated a pair of runs with a single through the left side to draw the score to 5-4.
- E&H went ahead 6-5 on a base knock by Hodge, her second of the inning, and was able to hold on through the bottom of the sixth and seventh to take the victory.
- Freshman right-hander Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) threw five innings of shutout softball in relief, striking out eight while allowing just two hits.
- Taylor Asimakopolous suffered the loss, allowing one unearned run on two hits in two-plus innings of work.
Game Seven – #5 Emory & Henry 4, #8 Guilford 0
- The Wasps opened up a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first when senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) grounded out to the shortstop, driving in Anderson.
- Hodge got her third RBI base hit of the day on a single up the middle in the third to push the score to 2-0.
- Emory & Henry added a pair of insurance runs in the fourth when sophomore second baseman Lyndsay Boyd (Abingdon, Va.) hit her first-ever home run.
- Derr picked up her second win in relief of the day, throwing the final 3.2 innings. She allowed just two hits and struck out three.
- Katie McNeill took the loss, allowing four runs on six hits in 3.2 innings pitched.
- Emory & Henry advances to face off against #3 Lynchburg College Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m., for a chance to play for the ODAC Championship.