LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Lynchburg College Softball Team (26-10, 10-6 ODAC) picked up a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference wins over visiting Emory & Henry College (28-10, 9-7 ODAC) Saturday afternoon. The Hornets earned a 4-3 come-from-behind victory in game one before taking the sweep with an 8-0 shutout.
Both teams are listed in the first NCAA Division III Atlantic Region rankings of the season, which were released late Thursday. The Wasps were seventh in the poll while the Hornets were tabbed as eighth.
GAME ONE – Lynchburg 4, Emory & Henry 3
GAME TWO – Lynchburg 8, Emory & Henry 0 (six innings)
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Moon Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 26-8 (7-5 ODAC); Lynchburg 26-10 (10-6 ODAC)
Game One – Lynchburg 4, Emory & Henry 3
- Lynchburg got out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first on a solo home run by Mackenzie Chitwood.
- The Wasps answered in the second with a pair of scores on a double by junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.).
- LC tied the contest at two in the bottom of the second after an error.
- In the fifth, E&H went back up, 3-2, on a solo home run by senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.).
- The Hornets got the go-ahead run in the bottom of the sixth as Skylar Dickens and Chitwood put together back-to-back RBI base hits.
- Conner English earned the win, allowing three runs on seven hits with four strikeouts.
- Wasp sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on 11 hits in 5.2 innings of work.
Game Two – Lynchburg 8, Emory & Henry 0 (six innings)
- The Hornets got the scoring off to a start in the bottom of the first on a single by Kayla Hugate and added two runs in the third for a 3-0 lead. Morgan Mitchell provided the offense with a base hit to left field.
- Lynchburg extended its lead to 6-0 after four thanks in part to a two-run double by Brittany Coffey.
- The bottom of the sixth saw LC score two runs on a double by Dickens to satisfy the Eight-Run Advantage Rule.
- Alex Cisar picked up the abbreviated complete-game shutout, allowing just five base runners in six innings pitched.
- E&H freshman Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) took the loss, allowing six runs on 10 hits.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the regular season on Sunday when it visits No. 1 Virginia Wesleyan University.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Marlins is set for 1:00 p.m.