EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (28-8, 9-5 ODAC) closed out the home portion of its schedule with two more Old Dominion Athletic Conference wins Thursday night over Bridgewater College (15-19, 3-11 ODAC). The doubleheader, which was played at Abingdon High School, saw the Wasps take game one, 7-3, and complete the sweep with a 10-3 victory.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 7, Bridgewater 3
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 10, Bridgewater 3
LOCATION – Abingdon, Virginia
VENUE – Abingdon High School
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 28-8 (9-5 ODAC); Bridgewater 15-19 (3-11 ODAC)
Game One – Emory & Henry 7, Bridgewater 3
- The Eagles got out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first, highlighted by a single up the middle by Brianna Worley.
- Emory & Henry answered in the bottom of the frame as senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) tagged a three-run home run down the left field line and sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) drove in a fourth run with a single up the middle.
- BC closed the gap to 4-3 in the second as Stephanie Carroll singled to drive in a run.
- E&H scored twice in the fourth and once in the sixth to make the final score 7-3 with two RBI base hits coming from senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.).
- Sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) picked up the complete game win, scattering one earned run and five hits with four strikeouts.
- Bridgewater right-hander Brooke Louden suffered the loss, allowing seven runs on 14 hits.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 10, Bridgewater 3
- Bridgewater scored a run in the top of the first after an error.
- The Wasps broke the game open in the bottom of the fourth with four runs. Hodge got things started with a RBI double while Elswick and sophomore third baseman Lyndsay Boyd (Abingdon, Va.) also drove in runs with doubles.
- In the top of the sixth, the Eagles scored twice on bases loaded walks to draw the score to 4-3.
- E&H scored six times in its half of the sixth to regain the momentum and put the game out of reach. The Wasps pounded out five hits including doubles by sophomore catcher Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) and Elswick to highlight the frame.
- Freshman Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the win, striking out 12 in five innings of work while high school teammate Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) earned her first career save, getting the final six outs with six strikeouts.
- The 18 strikeouts was a new school record for E&H, breaking a mark that has stood since the 2007 season.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Lynchburg College on Saturday for an ODAC doubleheader.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Hornets is set for 1:00 p.m.