EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (25-7, 6-4 ODAC) picked up a pair of wins Saturday afternoon over visiting Eastern Mennonite University (17-13, 5-9 ODAC) in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. The Wasps won the series by scores of 4-3 and 8-5.
The victories gave the Wasps their third 25-win season in the past four years and the fifth in program history.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 4, Eastern Mennonite 3
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Eastern Mennonite 5
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 25-7 (6-4 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite 17-13 (5-9 ODAC)
Game One – Emory & Henry 4, Eastern Mennonite 3
- EMU got on the board in the top of the first on a single by Kelsi Martin.
- The Royals pushed their lead to 3-0 in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by Sam Breeden and a base hit by Makayla Morris.
- Emory & Henry turned on the offense in the bottom of the sixth frame. Junior right fielder Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.) cleared the bases with a three-run double to right centerfield to tie the contest at three runs apiece. On the next at bat, McClanahan scored the go-ahead run on a double by sophomore second baseman Lyndsay Boyd (Abingdon, Va.).
- Sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) picked up the complete-game win, scattering three runs on seven hits with four strikeouts.
- Eastern Mennonite's Martin took the loss in relief, allowing one unearned run on two hits in one inning of work.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 8, Eastern Mennonite 3
- The Royals started things off with a run in the top of the first but the Wasps answered in the bottom half of the inning thanks to a single by sophomore left fielder Caitlyn Yates (Coeburn, Va.).
- EMU went ahead 3-1 midway through the third with a solo home run by Morris and a RBI fielder's choice by Erin Rockwell.
- Emory & Henry scored four times in the bottom of the third to go up 5-3. Hodge got things started with a two-run homer to centerfield while sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) and McClanahan each had RBI base knocks.
- The Wasps pressed the advantage to 8-3 as Hodge hit a two-run single in the fourth and junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) scored on a wild pitch in the sixth.
- EMU got a pair of runs back in the seventh to make the score 8-5 as Martin and Breeden both had base hits.
- E&H freshman Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the victory, allowing three earned runs on eight hits with four strikeouts.
- Alia Miller suffered the loss for the Royals, allowing five runs on six hits in just 2.2 innings pitched.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Roanoke College on Tuesday evening at 5:00 p.m., in a key ODAC doubleheader.
- The Wasps' home date against Bridgewater College scheduled for Sunday has been postponed. A makeup date has not yet been set.