EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (23-7, 4-4 ODAC) rebounded to get back in the win column with two Old Dominion Athletic Conference wins over Guilford College (13-15, 2-9 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon at home. The Wasps won a 13-10 marathon in game one before snagging the sweep with a 5-1 victory in game two.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 13, Guilford 10
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 5, Guilford 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 23-7 (4-4 ODAC); Guilford 13-15 (2-9 ODAC)
Game One – Emory & Henry 13, Guilford 10
- The Quakers got out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first by the Wasps responded with four runs in the bottom of the frame. Emory & Henry would take a 6-2 lead after two thanks to a home run by senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.).
- A four-bagger by Makayla Crawford of Guilford drew the score to 6-3, but Emory & Henry extended the margin to 9-3 in the bottom of the third highlighted by a two-run single by junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.).
- GC notched seven runs across the fourth and fifth innings to regain the lead, 10-9. Makayla Carver had a RBI single in both frames.
- E&H retook the lead for good in the bottom of the fifth with four runs. Sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) capped the scoring with a single to centerfield that drove in a pair.
- Freshman Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the win in relief, allowing just one hit with three strikeouts in 2.1 innings of work.
- Guilford's Katie McNeill took the loss as she permitted four runs on seven hits in 2.1 innings.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 5, Guilford 1
- E&H got on the board with two runs in the bottom of the first including a bases loaded walk drawn by Herron.
- The Wasps made it 4-0 after two as Anderson had a RBI base hit and senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) notched a sacrifice fly.
- In the bottom of the sixth, sophomore catcher Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) drilled a solo home run to put Emory & Henry ahead, 5-0.
- Guilford spoiled the shutout in the top of the seventh as Sabrina Moreno hit a home run to left.
- Braun earned the complete-game victory, scattering one run on eight hits with five strikeouts.
- Courtney Lackey suffered the loss for GC, allowing five runs on seven hits with five walks.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home this weekend as it hosts Eastern Mennonite University on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
- The doubleheader will also be the Wasps' annual Light It Up Blue Day in support of the Autism Speaks Foundation.