ASHLAND, Va. – The No. 7 Randolph-Macon College Softball Team (28-2, 7-1 ODAC) picked up a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference wins Sunday afternoon over visiting No. 25 Emory & Henry College (21-7, 2-4 ODAC). The Yellow Jackets won 3-0 to start the day and completed the sweep with a 7-6 come-from-behind performance in nine innings.
GAME ONE – No. 7 Randolph-Macon 3, No. 25 Emory & Henry 0
GAME TWO – No. 7 Randolph-Macon 7, No. 25 Emory & Henry 6 (nine innings)
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia
VENUE – R-MC Softball Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 21-7 (2-4 ODAC); Randolph-Macon 28-2 (7-1 ODAC)
Game One – No. 7 Randolph-Macon 3, No. 25 Emory & Henry 2
- The Yellow Jackets scored all three runs of the game in the bottom of the second frame. A single to left field by Kerstin Roth plated a pair to highlight the frame.
- Candace Whittemore picked up the shutout in the circle, allowing just four hits while striking out 12.
- Wasp sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss despite not allowing an earned run on four hits.
Game Two – No. 7 Randolph-Macon 7, No. 25 Emory & Henry 6 (nine innings)
- R-MC got on the board with two runs in the bottom of the second, highlighted by Taylor Sanderford's single to left centerfield.
- Emory & Henry pushed five runs across in the third for a 5-2 advantage. Sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) got things started with a three-run blast while senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) capped the inning with a two-run home run.
- In the fifth, E&H pushed the margin to 6-2 on a solo home run by sophomore left fielder Caitlyn Yates (Coeburn, Va.).
- Whittemore drew a bases loaded walk in the bottom half of the fifth to draw the score to 6-3 and the Yellow Jackets tied things up in the bottom of the sixth on a three-run homer by Harley Jones.
- Randolph-Macon claimed the victory in the bottom of the ninth on a double to right field by Shelby Hill.
- Kayley Scott earned the win in relief for R-MC, allowing just one run on three hits with seven strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work.
- E&H freshman Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) took the loss, allowing five earned runs despite striking out eight.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Wednesday to face off against Guilford College in an ODAC doubleheader.
- First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.