DANVILLE, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (21-3, 2-0 ODAC) got a pair of non-conference wins over Averett University (14-20, 10-6 USA South) Tuesday afternoon on the road. The Wasps took both games by scores of 6-2.
With the victories, the Wasps have solidified their fourth 20-win season in five years under the direction of Head Coach Tommy Forrester.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 6, Averett 2
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 6, Averett 2
LOCATION – Danville, Virginia
VENUE – Cougar Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 21-3 (2-0 ODAC); Averett 14-20 (10-6 USA South)
Game One - Emory & Henry 6, Averett 2
- The Wasps got out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the second inning, highlighted by freshman second baseman Allyson Steadman's (Kingsport, Tenn.) double to left centerfield.
- Averett closed the gap to 2-1 in the third on a single by Amanda Wright.
- E&H pushed the margin to 5-1 with four runs in the fourth and added another run in the sixth for a 6-1 advantage. Junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) had RBI singles in both frames.
- In the bottom of the seventh, the Cougars got one run back on a sacrifice fly by Amanda Wright.
- Emory & Henry sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) picked up the win, allowing just one run on seven hits with two strikeouts in five innings. Freshman Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) pitched two effective innings of relief.
- AU's Taylor Bailey took the loss, allowing five runs on four hits and three walks in 3.1 innings pitched.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 6, Averett 2
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the top of the first on a single to left by senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.).
- The Cougars tied the game at one run apiece on a doubled down the left field line by Essence Pulliam in the bottom of the second.
- In the top of the fourth, E&H took a 3-1 lead on a single up the middle by sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.).
- The Wasps continued to pour on the offense in the fifth, highlighted by a two-run shot to left field by freshman left fielder Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.), as built a 6-1 lead late in the game.
- AU scored once in the bottom of the seventh on a single up the middle by Nicole Cauthen to make the final score 6-2.
- Braun picked up the win in relief, allowing one unearned run on three hits in five innings of work while striking out seven.
- Kaitlyn Aherron suffered the loss, allowing six runs on seven hits with six strikeouts, pitching 4.1 innings.
- E&H will return home on Wednesday to host Randolph College in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference doubleheader.
- First pitch between the Wasps and WildCats is set for 3:00 p.m.