NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (13-2, 0-0 ODAC) kept rolling with two more wins Wednesday afternoon at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic. E&H took down Lycoming College (1-2) by a 6-1 score to open play and then held on for a 3-2 win over Gettysburg College (2-6) in a twilight game.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 6, Lycoming 1
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 3, Gettysburg 2
LOCATION – North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
VENUE – North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (13-2, 0-0 ODAC); Lycoming (1-2, 0-0 MAC Commonwealth); Gettysburg (2-6, 0-0 Centennial)
Emory & Henry 6, Lycoming 1
- E&H jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first highlighted by a two-run single through the left side by junior offensive player Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.).
- Lycoming got on the board in the second when Cayla Treaster scored from third base on a wild pitch.
- The Wasps got the run back to make the score 5-1 in the bottom of the frame thanks to a sacrifice fly by senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.). Emory & Henry added a final run for the 6-1 margin on a triple by freshman left fielder Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.) in the sixth.
- Freshman pitcher Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) pitched a gem, allowing just one run on one hit with 12 strikeouts in the game.
- Rachel Shady suffered the loss, allowing six runs on eight hits with six walks.
Emory & Henry 3, Gettysburg 2
- The Wasps opened up a 3-0 advantage in the first with senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) notching a RBI double. Varner also drove in a run with a strategically placed groundout later in the frame.
- Gettysburg scored twice in the fourth to draw the score to 3-2. Meredith Taylor and Wendy Folfas each had run-scoring base hits in the frame.
- E&H sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the win as she struck out six, allowing just two runs on four hits.
- Aileen Reilly took the loss for the Bullets allowing three runs on three hits in the first inning. McKenzie Somers threw five innings of shutout softball in relief.
- E&H will play another pair of games on Thursday at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic.
- The Wasps will open the day against the College of St. Scholastica at 9:30 a.m., and also take on Rutgers University-Camden at 11:30 a.m.