NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (11-2, 0-0 ODAC) picked up a pair of run-rule victories on Tuesday at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic. The Wasps defeated Lesley University by a 10-2 score to start the day and completed action with an 11-1 win over the University of St. Joseph (Conn.).
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 10, Lesley 2 (five innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 11, St. Joseph (Conn.) 1 (five innings)
LOCATION – North Myrtle Beach, S.C.
VENUE – North Myrtle Beach Sports Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-2, 0-0 ODAC); Lesley (2-1, 0-0 NECC); St. Joseph (Conn.) (2-5, 0-0 GNAC)
Emory & Henry 10, Lesley 2 (five innings)
- Lesley got on the board in the top of the second with two runs on a double by Stephanie Schofield.
- E&H responded in the bottom of the frame with six runs highlighted by a triple to left-center by freshman left fielder Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.).
- The Wasps added a run in the bottom of the third to push the lead to 7-2 and got three more in the fifth for the 10-2 final score. Senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) ended the game with a single to left centerfield.
- Emory & Henry sophomore right-hander Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) picked up the win, striking out seven with just two runs on three hits.
- Jordan Day suffered the loss for Lesley, allowing eight runs on 10 hits and three walks in four-plus innings of work.
Emory & Henry 11, St. Joseph (Conn.) 1 (five innings)
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first thanks in part to a pair of doubles by senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) and sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.).
- The Wasps added a run in the second on a double by Varner to make it 4-0 before the Blue Jays put a run on the board in the third.
- In the top of the fifth, the E&H offense exploded for seven runs for the 11-1 final score. Freshman second baseman Allyson Steadman (Kingsport, Tenn.) had a two-run single while Varner cleared the bases with a double in the inning.
- Freshman Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) allowed just one run on two hits as she picked up the complete-game win with five strikeouts.
- Blue Jay hurler Alessandra Milardo took the loss, allowing 11 runs on 13 hits.
- E&H will return to action Wednesday in the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic when it faces Lycoming College at 1:30 p.m., and Gettysburg College at 5:30 p.m. These games are rescheduled from Monday morning when rain washed out the whole day.
- Emory & Henry has added a contest on Friday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. against Wesley College. With this addition, the Wasps' doubleheader at The University of the South is officially cancelled.