EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (8-2, 0-0 ODAC) finished the weekend with a 3-1 record as it split a pair of games Sunday at home. The Wasps opened the day with a 5-3 loss to Case Western Reserve University and responded to defeat Marietta College by an 8-5 score in the final game of the tournament.
GAME ONE – Case Western Reserve 5, Emory & Henry 3
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Marietta 5
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-2, 0-0 ODAC)
- CWRU opened the scoring in the top of the first with a single up the middle by Grace Tritchler. The Wasps responded in the bottom of the frame when senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) stole home.
- Emory & Henry went up 3-1 in the bottom of the fourth on a two-run home run by junior right fielder Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.).
- In the top of the fifth, Case scored twice to tie the game, 3-3, and got the go-ahead runs in the sixth on a two-run shot by Nicole Doyle, 5-3.
- Ilissa Hamilton picked up the complete-game win, scattering three runs on five hits with nine strikeouts.
- Wasp sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on eight hits despite striking out six.
- The Wasps, playing as the visitors, jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first on a double steal which brought sophomore centerfielder Caitlyn Yates (Coeburn, Va.) home.
- Emory & Henry extended the margin to 5-0 in the third, highlighted by a two-run single up the middle by sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.).
- In the bottom half of the third, MC got on the board thanks to a solo home run by Kayla Alderson. The Pioneers tied things up 5-5 an inning later on a three-run shot by Alderson and a bases-loaded hit by pitch to Mackenzie Marshall.
- E&H retook the lead for good in the fifth on a three-run shot to left centerfield by senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) and held on for the 8-5 win.
- Freshman pitcher Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the win in relief, striking out four in 1.2 innings. Cole came in to pitch the final five outs and earned the save with four strikeouts of her own.
- Maddi Liston took the loss for Marietta, allowing all eight runs in four-plus innings of work.
Other Games Sunday
Susquehanna 7, Marietta 4
Case Western Reserve 11, Susquehanna 2 (six innings)
- Emory & Henry will take the week off before travelling to North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for six games at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic over Spring Break.