EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (7-1, 0-0 ODAC) picked up a pair of wins Saturday in the first day of the Third Annual Emory & Henry Invitational. The Wasps defeated Susquehanna University by a 9-5 score to open the day and completed the sweep with a 7-6 come-from-behind win over Marietta College.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 9, Susquehanna 5
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Marietta 6
LOCATION – Emory, Viriginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-1, 0-0 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry, playing as the visitor, opened the scoring with three runs in the top of the first. Senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) got things started with a RBI double to centerfield.
- The Wasps pushed the margin to 5-0 in the third on a two-run triple by senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) and made it 6-0 on a sacrifice fly by sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron (Roanoke, Va.) in the fourth.
- Susquehanna got on the board with two runs in the fourth and three in the fifth. Four straight base hits in the fifth frame closed the gap to 6-5 capped by a single to centerfield by Kasey Bost.
- After scoring once in the sixth, the Wasps got another two insurance runs in the seventh on a pair of solo shots by junior right fielder Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.) and freshman designated player Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.) to make the final score 9-5.
- Sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the win, scattering one earned run on eight hits over 4.2 innings of work with five strikeouts. Freshman Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the save, shutting down the Riverhawks in the final 2.1 innings of the contest.
- Alexa Gonzalez suffered the loss for SU, allowing nine runs on 13 hits with five strikeouts.
- The Pioneers put up three runs in the top of the first, highlighted by a two-run single by Erin Miller. E&H closed the gap to 3-2 with a pair of RBI singles in the bottom of the frame.
- In the third, Emory & Henry took a 4-3 lead but Marietta answered in the top of the fifth with three more runs to go up 6-4.
- The Wasps got a run back in the bottom of the fifth on a single up the middle by Elswick to make the score 6-5.
- Down to their final at bats, Emory & Henry claimed the walk-off, 7-6, victory on a two run-double to left center by sophomore catcher Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.).
- Freshman Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) went the distance, scattering four earned runs on four hits with nine strikeouts for the victory.
- MC's Hannah Richardson suffered the loss in relief, allowing two runs on five hits in 2.2 innings pitched.
Other Games Saturday
Case Western Reserve 9, Marietta 2
Case Western Reserve 9, Susquehanna 1 (five innings)
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Sunday for the final four games of the third annual Emory & Henry Invitational.
- The Wasps will take on Case Western Reserve at 11:00 a.m., and Marietta at 3:00 p.m.