RALEIGH, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (5-1, 0-0 ODAC) split its doubleheader with Meredith College (3-3, 0-0 USA South) Saturday afternoon on the road. The Avenging Angels took game one, 9-0, in five innings while the Wasps earned their own shutout, 7-0, in the nightcap.
Freshman pitcher Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) threw a no-hitter in game two, fanning 11 batters. It was the first no-hitter by an Emory & Henry pitcher since Brandy Bryant accomplished the feat against Penn State-Fayette on March 2, 2013.
GAME ONE – Meredith 9, Emory & Henry 0 (five innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Meredith 0
LOCATION – Raleigh, North Carolina
VENUE – Meredith Softball Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-1, 0-0 ODAC); Meredith (3-3, 0-0 USA South)
- Meredith stormed out to a 6-0 lead in the bottom of the first highlighted by a grand slam by Maria Annunziatta and a solo shot by Eran Artigues.
- The Avenging Angels added three in the second on a bases clearing double by Julia Allsbrook for the 9-0 final margin.
- The Wasps were unable to get their offense going as only four batters reached base in the game.
- Meredith's Taylor Jackson earned the win, scattering two hits and two walks over five innings with three strikeouts.
- Sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, falling to 2-1 on the season.
- E&H jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the top of the second in search of revenge. Senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) doubled through the right side to drive in a pair in the frame.
- In the top of the sixth, the Wasps tacked on two more runs highlighted by a solo home run by freshman Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.) for her first collegiate round-tripper.
- Emory & Henry capped the scoring in the seventh when junior outfielder Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.) scored on a wild pitch to make it 7-0.
- Derr got the no-hit win while Myah Morse suffered the loss, allowing four runs on three hits and four walks in 1.2 innings of work.
- Emory & Henry will return home next weekend to host the third annual Emory & Henry Invitational.
- The Wasps will host eight games over the span of two days as Case Western Reserve University, Marietta College and Susquehanna University will visit Southwest Virginia for the round-robin event.