EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (4-0, 0-0 ODAC) picked up a pair of wins in its home opener Tuesday afternoon. The Wasps defeated the Panthers of Ferrum College (2-2, 0-0 USA
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 5, Ferrum 4
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 10, Ferrum 5
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-0, 0-0 ODAC); Ferrum (2-2, 0-0 USA South)
- Ferrum took a 1-0 lead in the third after an errant throw on an attempted sacrifice bunt by Jordan Hamlett.
- The Wasps answered with four runs in the bottom of the frame. Senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.) stroked a two-run single to centerfield and was driven home two batters later by sophomore third baseman Courtney Herron's (Roanoke, Va.) home run down the left field line.
- In the top of the sixth, the Panthers drew the margin to within one, 4-3, highlighted by a single by Cheyenne Strickland.
- E&H got a run in the bottom of the sixth on a line drive home run by junior right fielder Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.) to make the score 5-3.
- FC got one run back in the seventh on a sacrifice fly, 5-4, but the play resulted in a rundown for a game-ending double play.
- Sophomore Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the complete-game win, scattering one earned run and four hits while FC's Ashton Lambeth suffered the loss, allowing five runs on seven hits with a walk.
- The Panthers put up a pair of runs in the top of the first on a home run by Strickland, but the Wasps answered with four runs in the bottom of the frame, highlighted by McClanahan and freshman pitcher Alex Braun's (Cornelius, N.C.) doubles.
- E&H made it 5-2 in the second but three runs by Ferrum in the fourth knotted the game at five runs apiece.
- Emory & Henry's offense exploded for five runs in the bottom half of the fifth. Sophomore catcher Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) plated a pair with a double to centerfield and McClanahan added a second RBI double to her tally. The scoring was capped by a two-RBI sacrifice fly by freshman Allyson Steadman (Kingsport, Tenn.)
- Freshman Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) earned the win in relief, pitching 3.1 innings of shutout softball with just one hit and three strikeouts. Ferrum's Jasmine Agee allowed all 10 runs in the loss.
- Emory & Henry will continue its streak of games against USA South Athletic Conference schools on Saturday when it visits Meredith College.
- First pitch in the doubleheader is set for noon.