EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (20-8, 6-4 ODAC) picked up a doubleheader sweep of Roanoke College (18-10, 7-5 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon at home. The Wasps took the Old Dominion Athletic Conference series by scores of 1-0 and 8-4. The two victories mark E&H's first-ever sweep of Roanoke.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 1, Roanoke 0
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Roanoke 4
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (20-8, 6-4 ODAC); Roanoke (18-10, 7-5 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry broke into the scoring column in the bottom of the second when senior catcher Jordan Chrisley (Dublin, Va.) drove in senior shortstop Danielle Loving (Elizabethton, Tenn.) with a sacrifice fly.
- While Roanoke got runners aboard several times during the game, the E&H defense came up with key outs all afternoon to hold onto the 1-0 lead for the win.
- Junior Emily Kendrick (Honaker, Va.) earned her second-straight 1-0 shutout win, allowing just three hits while striking out three.
- RC's Teresa Wagner suffered the loss, despite just one run on five hits with four strikeouts and no walks.
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first on a two-run single up the middle by junior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.).
- The Maroons answered with two runs in the second but the Wasps' offense opened up in the bottom half of the frame. After Hodge drew a bases-loaded walk, Loving hit a towering grand slam over the centerfield fence to make the score 7-2.
- Junior second baseman Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.) extended the lead to 8-2 in the fourth as she scored on a late throw home after a fielder's choice by Hodge.
- Roanoke's strongest offensive output of the day came in the top of the fifth as Taylor Carter plated a pair with a home run to center.
- E&H freshman Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the win, scattering two earned runs on six hits with four strikeouts over five innings pitched. Kendrick finished the game, striking out four.
- Taylor Asimakopoulos took the loss, allowing six runs on two hits and four walks in just 1.2 innings of work. Both Emily Salsberry and Ruthie Williams allowed single runs in relief.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Hodge went three-for-six with four RBI and a run scored while Loving drove in four on two hits with a pair of her own runs.
- Elswick and sophomore centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) both had two runs and two hits on the afternoon.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Katie Smith led the way with three hits while Carter had two hits, two RBI and a run.
- Becca Wenger and Erin Forbes each notched two hits and scored a run for the Maroons.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road for a weekend of conference games.
- The Wasps will visit the Hornets of Shenandoah University on Saturday for a doubleheader at 1:00 p.m.