Buena Vista, Va. - Both the men's and women's tennis teams started their 2017-18 season Saturday in a non-conference matchup at Southern Virginia. It is the first season under new coach Christine Johnston. After losing five seniors on the men's side and three on the women's, the Wasps will have a new lineup in Johnston's first season. The women were able to pick up one win, while the men fell 9-0 to the Knights of Southern Virginia.
- Bri Pierce (Purlear, N.C.) and Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) were shut out at one doubles, 8-0.
- Katie Meade (Coeburn, Va.) and Kaitlyn Sheaves (Staunton, Va.) could not regain the magic of last season quite yet, as the dynamic duo lost, 8-3.
- Kala Curtis (Locust Grove, Va.) and Kelsey Holt (Staffordsville, Va.) also fell by the score of 8-3.
- Former All-ODAC selection, Katie Meade, is now taking over the number one spot. The junior took a 6-2, 6-2 loss in the match.
- Curtis was blanked, 6-0, 6-0 at two singles.
- Sheaves went down, 6-1, 6-1.
- Johnston, who is also a member of the women's basketball team, played valiantly in her first match as an E&H tennis player. She wound up losing, 6-2, 7-5.
- Pierce picked up the lone win for the Wasps, with a 6-4, 6-1 win at five singles.
- Holt was defeated 6-2, 6-0.
- Matt Kennedy (Wise, Va.) and Grayson McCarty (Marion, Va.) took an 8-1 loss at one doubles.
- Dalton Shipley (Gate City, Va.) and Cooper Garrett (Gate City, Va.) also went down, 8-1.
- Following in the same path, Liam Davidson (Newport News, Va.) and Taylor Hines (Jonesville, Va.) lost, 8-1, as well.
- Kennedy will take a huge role for the Wasps, as he will play number one as a freshman. He was shut out, 6-0, 6-0.
- McCarty was also defeated, 6-0, 6-0, at two singles.
- At three singles, Shipley lost, 6-1, 6-1.
- Davidson fell, 6-0, 6-0.
- Garrett was vanquished, 6-2, 6-0.
- To finish off the match, Andrew McClung (Roanoke, Va.) was defeated, 6-0, 6-0.
The Wasps have one more match in the Fall portion of their season left. The will host Averett University on Saturday, October 14th at 1 p.m.