GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams got the postseason off to a start Friday at day one of the 2019 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships. The women currently sit in fourth of 11 teams while the men are fifth out of 10 competing squads.
WOMEN'S RESULT – 4th/11
MEN'S RESULT – 5th/10
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina
VENUE – Greensboro Aquatic Center
- Event 1 – 200-Yard Freestyle Relay – Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.), freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.), freshman Leah Mumpower (Bristol, Tenn.) and junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) swam a 1:43.82 to take fourth.
- Event 3 – 500-Yard Freestyle – Mumpower went 5:49.84 to finish 18th overall and earned the second alternate spot in the finals.
- Event 5 – 200-Yard Individual Medley – Tunstall claimed 13th place with a swim of 2:19.59 while Sweigart was 16th (2:22.72).
- Event 7 – 50-Yard Freestyle – Anson took fifth at :24.29 in the championship final while sophomore Lauren Trotter (Bristol, Va.) was 32nd (:28.36) in the preliminaries.
- Event 9 – 400-Yard Medley Relay – Anson, Sweigart, Tunstall and junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) took fourth place clocking a 4:12.38.
- Event 2 – 200-Yard Freestyle Relay – Freshmen Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.), Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.), Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.) and Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) finished fifth with a time of 1:34.41, setting a new school record by over 3.5 seconds.
- Event 4 – 500-Yard Freestyle – Henningsen clocked a 5:07.28 to take 18th in the preliminaries, besting the old E&H mark by over 11.5 seconds.
- Event 8 – 50-Yard Freestyle – Justice claimed 16th (:23.05) with another school record while Gardner was 23rd in :23.54. Junior Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) placed 32nd while freshman Nick Moore (Lebanon, Va.) and junior Jarod Bracero (Union City, N.J.) were 35th and 37th, respectively.
- Event 9 – 400-Yard Medley Relay – Madaris, freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.), Henningsen and Gardner posted a time of 3:56.36 to finish sixth and set a new Wasp record by more than five seconds.
- Emory & Henry will continue action in the 2018 ODAC Championships on Saturday with preliminaries beginning at 10:00 a.m., and finals starting at 6:00 p.m.