EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams closed out the regular season Saturday with a double dual against LaGrange College and William Peace University. Both of the Wasps' teams were dominant in their victories.
The Emory & Henry men picked up five wins and three runner-up finishes in the 11-event meet and broke a pair of school records. The Wasp women won 10 events with a trio of 1-2 finishes as they out-matched their opponents.
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 94, LaGrange 71
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 107, William Peace 51
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 119, LaGrange 10
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 113, William Peace 48
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Emory & Henry Aquatics Center
MEN'S RECORD – 4-8 (2-3 ODAC)
WOMEN'S RECORD – 9-5 (5-2 ODAC)
- Freshmen Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) and Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) broke records for the Wasps. Justice went :58.53 in winning the 100-meter freestyle to set a new program standard while Henningsen's 4:42.299 in the 400-meter freestyle was also good enough to win the event by 10.3 seconds.
- Henningsen also won the 200-meter freestyle in 2:12.09 while freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.) claimed the title in the 50-free (:26.83).
- The Wasps' final win of the day was in the 200-meter medley relay as freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.), junior Jarod Bracero (Union City, N.J.), freshman Nick Moore (Lebanon, Va.) and junior Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) clocked a 2:19.95.
- Three different Wasps earned a pair of individual wins. Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.) posted a :30.67 in the 50-meter freestyle an a 1:13.67 in the 100-meter butterfly.
- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) used a 2:14.99 to win the 200-meter freestyle by more than 15 seconds and followed it up with a 1:02.18 in the 100-meter freestyle.
- Junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) stopped the watches in 2:43.78 in the 200-meter individual medley and went 1:26.40 in the 100-meter breaststroke for a win.
- Freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) won the 400-meter freestyle with a 5:25.00 while junior Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) posted a 11:30.55 to take the 800-meter freestyle.
- E&H swept the relays with times of 2:27.07 in the 200-medley and 2:06.43 in the 200-freestyle.
- Emory & Henry will next compete in the 2019 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships over the weekend of Friday, February 15 through Sunday, February 17.
- For the eighth-straight year, the meet will take place at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, North Carolina.