LEXINGTON, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Swimming Team set 12 new school records at the Washington and Lee Invitational over the weekend. The Wasps finished fifth in the two-day, 18-event meet which served as the team's mid-season event.
TEAM PLACE – 5th/6
LOCATION – Lexington, Virginia
VENUE – W&L Natatorium
- The Wasps started things off with a record-breaking swim in the 200-yard freestyle relay on the efforts of freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.), freshman Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.), junior Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) and freshman Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) to go 1:38.00.
- Justice posted three new school records on the weekend. He went :23.11 in the 50-yard freestyle, a 1:05.28 in the 100-yard breaststroke and clocked a :51.41 in the 100-yard freestyle.
- In the 400-yard medley relay, the team of freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.), Justice, Henningsen, and Gardner went 4:01.61 for a new E&H record.
- Madaris, freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.), Gardner and Barr stopped the watches in 1:54.16 to claim a new school best in the 200-yard medley relay.
- The 800-yard freestyle relay saw a pair of records fall. Henningsen's leadoff leg of 1:56.12 was good for a new 200-yard freestyle record as he teamed up with Justice, Breeze and Madaris for a swim of 8:04.28.
- Breeze notched a record in the 200-yard breaststroke of 2:31.48 while Henningsen went 2:15.65 in the 200-yard butterfly for a new best. Madaris set a record in the 400-yard individual medley 4:59.81.
- E&H closed out the weekend with a 3:35.55 in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Gardner, Henningsen, Madaris and Justice combined for the new best time.
- Emory & Henry will return to action on Friday, January 11 in a double dual meet against King (Tenn.) University and Mars Hill University. The meet is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m., on the campus of Virginia High School.