BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Bridgewater College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams picked up a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference dual meet wins over visiting Emory & Henry College Friday evening. The Eagle men edged the Wasps by a 121-114 score, while the BC women won, 151-92.
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 121, Emory & Henry 114
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 151, Emory & Henry 92
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia
VENUE – Nininger Nall Pool
MEN'S RECORD – 1-3 (1-1 ODAC)
WOMEN'S RECORD – 2-2 (1-1 ODAC)
- E&H broke three school records and established three more. It was the first time in program history that the Wasps have swam the 200-meter lengths of the "strokes."
- Emory & Henry won seven of the 14 events in the closest meet margin in program history beginning with a record-breaking swim in the 200-meter medley relay. Freshmen Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.), Ethan Wine (Watauga, Tenn.), Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) and Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.) went 2:02.22 to win the race.
- Freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.) won the 800-meter freestyle in 11:49.00 while Henningsen picked up a victory in the 200-free (2:16.68).
- Wine posted a 1:20.08 in the 100-meter breaststroke for a victory while Henningsen set the record in the 200-meter butterfly with a time of 2:36.05.
- Madaris went 2:32.75 in the 200-back while Breeze stopped the watches in 2:55.48 in the 200-breast for new records and wins. Madaris made it three wins on the day as he touched the wall first in the 400-meter freestyle (5:03.13).
- The Wasps set two records while swimming the 200-meter freestyle relay. Gardner broke the school record in the 50-meter freestyle with a :26.07 on the leadoff leg as he joined up with Wine, and freshmen Nick Moore (Lebanon, Va.) and Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) to go 1:50.41.
- Emory & Henry won five events paced by Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) with three individual wins. The junior got her first victory with a 2:16.50 in the 200-freestyle.
- Freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) won the 100-meter breaststroke by 3.7 seconds as she clocked a 1:20.46.
- Anson went back-to-back to win the 50-freestyle (:28.25) and the 100-freestyle (1:01.92), inching ever closer to breaking E&H records in both distances.
- Junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) posted a trio of second place finishes in the 200-meter butterfly, the 200-meter breaststroke and the 200-meter individual medley.
- E&H got its final win of the evening in the 200-meter freestyle relay. Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.), Sweigart, junior Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) and Anson swam a 2:00.51 for the win.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Saturday afternoon when it visits Greensboro College for an ODAC dual meet.
- The first race is set to begin at 1:00 p.m.