EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams stepped out of Old Dominion Athletic Conference action Saturday afternoon as they hosted Milligan College and the West Virginia University Institute of Technology in a double dual meet. Both MC and WVUT are scholarship programs and members of NAIA.
The E&H Women defeated WVU Tech by a 68-64 score and fell to Milligan, 129-54. The Wasp men dropped both of their meets by scores of 143-46 and 147-43 to the Buffaloes and Golden Bears, respectively.
The meet also served as "Levi's Legacy" Day, officially beginning a partnership between Emory & Henry Swimming and Levi's Legacy, a non-profit organization founded to raise awareness and help prevent childhood drowning.
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – Milligan 143, Emory & Henry 46
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – West Virginia Tech 147, Emory & Henry 43
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Milligan 129, Emory & Henry 54
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 68, West Virginia Tech 64
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Emory & Henry Aquatics Center
MEN'S RECORD – 1-2 (1-0 ODAC)
WOMEN'S RECORD – 2-1 (1-0 ODAC)
- E&H broke three school records on the day beginning with the 800-meter freestyle. Freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.) clocked an 11:42.01 to set the new program-best mark.
- Freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.) posted a 5:01.61 in the 300-meter freestyle for a new Emory & Henry record.
- The Wasps finished the day with a new best in the 200-meter freestyle relay. An all-freshman relay of Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.), Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.), Ethan Wine (Watauga, Tenn.) and Braxton Justice (Spanisburg, W.Va.) went 1:54.14 to trim .68 seconds off the previous record.
- Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.) gave the Wasps their first win of the day in the 200-meter freestyle with a 2:28.49. She also swam a 1:14.14 in the 100-meter butterfly to take second.
- Junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) went :28.19 in the 50-meter freestyle. Anson picked up her second win of the day in the 100-free at 1:02.15, winning by more than eight seconds.
- Freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) was the runner-up in the 100-meter breaststroke, clocking a 1:23.51.
- The Wasps took the top time in the 200-meter freestyle relay (2:03.77) on the efforts of Sweigart, Tunstall, Anson and junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.).
- Emory & Henry will visit Bridgewater College next Friday evening for an ODAC meet against the Eagles.
- The first event is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.