EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Swimming Team (1-0, 1-0 ODAC) picked up its first-ever dual meet victory Friday evening, defeating Ferrum College (0-1, 0-1 ODAC) by a 115-36 score. The Wasps won nine of the 10 events and broke six school records in the process.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 115, Ferrum 36
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Emory & Henry Aquatics Center
RECORD – Emory & Henry (1-0, 1-0 ODAC); Ferrum (0-1, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got the meet off to a start with a record-swim of 2:10.27 in the 200-meter medley relay. The relay consisted of freshman Blake Madaris (Acworth, Ga.), freshman Ethan Wine (Watauga, Tenn.), freshman Mack Henningsen (Abingdon, Va.) and junior Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.).
- Henningsen, Barr and freshman Nick Moore (Lebanon, Va.) went 1-2-3 in the 200-meter freestyle with Henningsen clocking a 2:17.57.
- In the 50-meter freestyle, freshman Tariq Gardner (Richmond, Va.) set a new program record with a time of :26.09. Freshman Braxton Justice (Spanishburg, W.Va.) finished just .39 seconds behind.
- Madaris won the 200-meter individual medley (2:36.22) while Henningsen added a second victory in the 100-meter butterfly (1:08.06).
- In the 100-meter freestyle, Justice and Gardner swapped places from their 50-free finish with Justice breaking the school record at :59.25.
- Madaris got another win, clocking a 1:11.00 in the 100-meter backstroke.
- Freshman Brett Breeze (Cumming, Ga.) set two school records, going 5:29.28 in the 400-meter freestyle to take second and winning the 100-meter breaststroke in 1:20.03.
- The Wasps completed the night with a record swim in the 200-meter freestyle relay. Justice, Breeze, Moore and Gardner went a 1:54.82 in the event.
- Emory & Henry will compete in the ODAC Relays on the campus of Washington and Lee University next Saturday. The first race is set for noon.