SWEET BRIAR, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams closed out the dual meet portion of their seasons on Saturday afternoon with a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchups at Sweet Briar College. The women's team took down the Vixens, 120-62, as the men fell by a 139-39 score to Hampden-Sydney College.
WOMEN'S FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 120, Sweet Briar 62
MEN'S FINAL SCORE – Hampden-Sydney 139, Emory & Henry 39
LOCATION – Sweet Briar, Virginia
VENUE – Prothro Natatorium
WOMEN'S RECORD – Emory & Henry (10-1, 8-0 ODAC)
MEN'S RECORD – Emory & Henry (0-9, 0-6 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry opened the competition with an 11.26-second victory in the 200-meter medley relay. Sophomore Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.), senior Bri Chessock (Winston-Salem, N.C.), senior Holly Roth (Albuquerque, N.M.) and sophomore Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) stopped the watches in 2:19.50 for the win.
- Freshman Sarah Helfert (Hickory, N.C.) won the 800-meter freestyle with a time of 10:39.54, besting her competition by 1:11.65 while.
- Chessock, Roth and Simmons went 1-2-4 in the 200-meter freestyle, posting times of 2:22.80, 2:30.63 and 2:35.81, respectively.
- In the 50-meter freestyle, senior Mackenzie Lingle (Roanoke, Va.) went :29.53 for the win while freshman Lauren Trotter (Bristol, Va.) was third in :33.31.
- Scarbrough and senior Kelsey Jones (Roanoke, Va.) 1-2'ed the 200-meter individual medley with swims of 2:43.54 and 2:54.24.
- In the 100-meter butterfly, Chessock won by 20 seconds (1:12.04) while Lingle and Totter went 1-2 in the 100-meter freestyle in 1:06.28 and 1:13.58, respectively.
- Helfert posted a second-place finish in the 100-meter backstroke, clocking a 1:17.58, with Simmons finishing third (1:22.09) while freshman Brittany Archer (Laredo, Texas) and Jones took the top two spots in the 400-meter freestyle (5:14.22, 5:23.49).
- Emory & Henry continued its perennial dominance in the breaststroke, sweeping the event on the efforts of Scarbrough (1:24.01), Lingle (1:26.32) and Roth (1:29.38).
- The Wasps closed the meet with a 2:10.14 in the 200-meter medley relay coming from Archer, Helfert, Jones and Trotter.
- Sophomore Wilson Naff (Marion, Va.) earned three wins on the day, taking the 200-meter freestyle (2:11.38), 100-meter butterfly (1:04.22) and the 100-meter backstroke (1:04.11).
- Sophomore Nick Barr (Chilhowie, Va.) was second in the 50-meter freestyle, turning in a time of :30.02, and was third in the 100-meter freestyle (1:07.13).
- Sophomore Evan Prillhart (Johnson City, Tenn.) swam in the 100-meter freestyle, 200-meter freestyle and 100-meter breaststroke for E&H.
- Emory & Henry will next compete at the 2018 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championships on the weekend of Friday, February 9 through Sunday, February 11.
- The championship meet will take place at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, North Carolina.