EMORY, Va. – The Shenandoah University Men's Soccer Team (5-8-1, 2-5 ODAC) scored the match-winning goal 48 seconds into the second overtime Sunday afternoon to steal a 3-2 win over Emory & Henry College (6-9, 0-8 ODAC) in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
The Wasps honored Kevin Boeren (Roanoke, Va.), Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.), Jake Hamley (Christiansburg, Va.) and Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) prior to the start of the match as part of the team's annual Senior Day celebration.
FINAL SCORE – Shenandoah 3, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-9, 0-8 ODAC); Shenandoah (5-8-1, 2-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Shenandoah got things started at the 17:27 mark of the first half when Kane Malendez received a pass from Trace Becker and went one-on-one with the goalkeeper for the score.
- The Hornets made it 2-0 midway through the 25th minute when Andres Garces converted a penalty kick.
- Emory & Henry broke into the scoring column with 10:07 to go before the intermission as Stallins collected a rebound off his own shot and beat the keeper to the right side.
- Stallins struck again 61 seconds later, putting a one-timer in the back of the net off a throw in by freshman defender C.J. Poulsen (Roanoke, Va.) to go into the half tied, 2-2.
- After a scoreless second half, the two squads went into extra time. The first 10 minutes went much like the second half, forcing a second overtime.
- SU got the match-winner late in the 101st minute when William Majano slotted a shot to the back post after a throw in.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- With the two goals, Stallins moves into a tie for fifth all-time for goals in a season with 13 while Poulsen's assist came as the team-leading fourth of the year.
- Freshman Emory Cornette (Richmond, Ky.) made a pair of saves as he faced a total of 15 shots.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Chase Greene led the Hornets with five shots and added an assist on the match-winner.
- Sam Fisher picked up the victory in goal with six saves.
- Emory & Henry will play its final home match of the season on Wednesday when it hosts Roanoke College.
- Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.