HAMPDEN SYDNEY, Va. – The Hampden-Sydney College Men's Soccer Team (4-4-1, 2-2 ODAC) scored twice in the opening 15 minutes and added a goal late to turn away an Emory & Henry College (5-5, 0-4 ODAC) rally for a 3-1 win Saturday in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Hampden-Sydney 3, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Hampden Sydney, Virginia
VENUE – Hellmuth-Gibson Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-4, 0-3 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (3-4-1, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- HSC got on the board just 34 seconds into the contest when Josh McCormack sent a pass in from the right that Jack Sweney slotted to the near post for the goal.
- The Tigers made it 2-0 late in the 12th minute as Spell Carr banged one in off the crossbar. McCormack was credited with his second assist of the contest.
- With 16:04 left to play, Emory & Henry spoiled the shutout when senior midfielder Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) hit the upper 90 on the back post of the goal from 30 yards out.
- At the 80:54 mark, Hampden-Sydney gave itself some breathing room when McCormack connected with Carr for the second time on the night.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Foley's goal was the first of the season and the first since finding the back of the net his freshman year against Roanoke.
- Senior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) and junior forward Mason Carroll (Bristol, Va.) each had a pair of chances in the game.
- Sophomore Cole Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) played the full 90 minutes, making two saves.
Hampden-Sydney Individual Leaders
- McCormack assisted on all three scores of the night while Carr posted his two goals on four shots.
- Gray Sutter earned the victory between the pipes, stopping four shots.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday for an ODAC contest against Washington and Lee at 6:30 p.m.