EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (3-1, 0-0 ODAC) scored twice in the final 15 minutes en route to a 3-0 win over Hiwassee College (1-2) Thursday evening at home. It was the fourth match in the span of seven days for the Wasps, who have now won at least three of their first four contests in three straight seasons.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Hiwassee 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-1, 0-0 ODAC); Hiwassee (1-2)
How It Happened
- E&H struck in the 24th minute when senior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) dispossessed a Hiwassee defender and hit a shot off the left post and in.
- The Wasps made it 2-0 at the 77:07 mark when freshman forward Jeff Hurlock (Fredericksburg, Va.) scored on a free kick from sophomore defender Matthew Goodwin (Palm City, Fla.).
- With 6:04 left to play, Goodwin put his name in the scoring column when he drilled a free kick off the goalkeeper's hands and into the back of the net to make the final score 3-0.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Goodwin finished the match with a team-high five shots to go along with his goal and assist.
- Stallins added four shots on frame to his team-leading fifth score of the season.
- Freshman Emory Cornette (Richmond, Ky.) earned the win in goal, playing 77 minutes while junior Morgan Moser (Sweetwater, Tenn.) finished the match to complete the combined shutout.
Valley Forge Individual Leaders
- Nic Fling led the Tigers with three shots while Lawson Jenkins added a shot on goal.
- Adolfo Bedolla made nine saves in goal despite the loss.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry outshot Hiwassee, 28-7, including a 12-1 margin on shots on goal.
- The Wasps held a 5-4 advantage on corner kicks but were flagged for five offside penalties compared to two for the Tigers.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Swannanoa, North Carolina on Tuesday to face off against Warren Wilson College. Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m.