SALEM, Va. – The Roanoke College Men's Soccer Team (13-4-1, 7-1 ODAC) scored three times in the opening half to propel itself to a 3-1 victory against visiting Emory & Henry College (5-13-1, 0-8-1 ODAC) Tuesday night. The contest served as the regular season finale for both squads and capped the season for the Wasps.
FINAL SCORE – Roanoke 3, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia – Kerr Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-13-1, 0-8-1 ODAC); Roanoke (13-4-1, 7-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Roanoke got off to a start at the 19:26 mark as Brandon Bauer found Atticus Cooke in front of the goal for a one-timer into the net.
- The Maroons pushed the lead to 2-0 two and a half minutes later as Jose Robertson scored, assisted by Fortune Sibanda.
- In the 41st minute, RC added its third goal as Jon-Cody Mactutus crossed a ball in for a left-footed volley past the keeper by Cole Thornton.
- Emory & Henry spoiled the shutout with just 8:02 left to play as senior midfielder David Jackson (Newport News, Va.) settled a rebound off sophomore midfielder Kevin Boeren's (Roanoke, Va.) attempt and put it over the line for the 3-1 final.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- In addition to Jackson's goal and Boeren's assist, senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) had three shots while sophomore defender Massimo Tager (Abingdon, Va.) added an attempt on frame.
- Freshman Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) made eight saves in goal for the Wasps.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Cooke had five shots, four on goal, to go along with his score while Marshall Hodge added four attempts with two on target.
- Nick Tadros picked up the win between the pipes, playing the first hour, while Alex Sullivan made two saves and allowed one goal in the final 30 minutes.
A Deeper Look
- Roanoke led by a 20-6 margin on shots and put 11 attempts on frame.
- The Maroons took seven corner kicks while the Wasps were held without a chance from the endline.
- RC was called offside five times during the match.
- Emory & Henry will now await the announcement of the All-ODAC Teams which will come following the conclusion of the 2017 ODAC Tournament.