EMORY, Va. – The Hampden-Sydney College Men's Soccer Team (10-5-1, 5-3 ODAC) scored a pair of second-half goals to propel itself to a 3-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Emory & Henry College (5-12-1, 0-7-1 ODAC) Saturday night. The contest served as Senior Day for the Wasps, who honored their seven seniors playing in their final home match.
FINAL SCORE – Hampden-Sydney 3, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-12-1, 0-7-1 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (10-5-1, 5-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- HSC got on the board at the 8:49 mark of the game when Spell Carr crossed a ball in from the left side, finding the head of Josh McCormack, who put it in the left side of the net.
- After the break, the Tigers made it 2-0 in the 58th minute when J.P. Reategui converted a penalty kick.
- The final goal of the match came with 24:49 to play as Ryan Turner played a ball ahead for a waiting Hunter Weiland, who beat the goalkeeper in a one-on-one matchup.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior midfielder Randal Colquitt (Las Vegas, Nev.) had a two shots while senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) and junior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) each tallied shots on goal.
- Freshman Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) finished the match with three saves despite the loss.
Hampden-Sydney Individual Leaders
- Weiland and McCormack both had a pair of shots on target including their goals to lead the Tigers.
- Gray Sutter earned the shutout, stopping two shots in 90 minutes of time between the pipes.
A Deeper Look
- HSC held a 14-6 shot advantage, including a 6-2 margin on shots on target.
- The Tigers and Wasps tied on corner kicks, 2-2.
- Hampden-Sydney fell victim to eight offside calls, compared to one for Emory & Henry
- Emory & Henry will conclude the 2017 season on Tuesday evening when it visits Roanoke College at 7:00 p.m.