LEXINGTON, Va. – The Washington and Lee University Men's Soccer Team (10-3-1, 5-2 ODAC) scored all three goals in the opening half as it defeated Emory & Henry College (5-11-1, 0-6-1 ODAC) Wednesday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Washington and Lee 3, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Lexington, Virginia – Watt Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-11-1, 0-6-1 ODAC); Washington and Lee (10-3-1, 5-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Generals jumped out to an early lead just 2:10 into the contest as Kevin Molnar scored after a shot by Harry Pinkerton rebounded off the goalkeeper.
- W&L made it 2-0 in the 25th minute as Harris Salom dribbled past a defender and placed the ball into the upper corner of the net.
- Nick St. Pierre served up a cross to Reeves Duggan with 7:58 to go before the intermission, who struck it off the crossbar for a ricochet over the goal line, making the 3-0 margin which would go down as the final.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman midfielder Connor White (Warrenton, Va.) had the lone shot on target for the Wasps.
- Freshman Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) made seven save, playing the full 90 minutes in goal.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Will Hamryka led all players with six shots while Duggan put three of his attempts on frame.
- Gillen Beck earned the shutout for the Generals, stopping one shot.
A Deeper Look
- W&L led E&H by a 24-6 margin on shots and held a 10-1 lead on shots on target.
- The Generals took nine corner kicks on the afternoon.
- Emory & Henry was called offside twice, compared to one violation for Washington and Lee.
- Emory & Henry returns to Fred Selfe Stadium on Saturday evening for an ODAC matchup against Hampden-Sydney College at 6:00 p.m.
- The match will serve as Senior Night for the Wasps, who will honor their seven seniors prior to the start of the contest.