EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (5-10-1, 0-5-1 ODAC) saw senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) score a pair of goals within 35 seconds as it picked up a 3-0 win over Hiwassee College (5-7) in non-conference action Monday.
FINAL SCORE –Emory & Henry 3, Hiwassee 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-10-1, 0-5-1 ODAC); Hiwassee (5-7)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry broke into the scoring column late in the ninth minute. Senior midfielder Edgar Rivas (Brentwood, N.Y.) played a vertical ball to junior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) who tagged it in the right side of the net.
- Coming out of the break with the same 1-0 lead, the Wasps scored two quick goals.
- Couch laced a free kick from 25 yards out past the keeper at the 52:48 mark and made it a 3-0 contest just 35 seconds later from the top of the box with a one-timer set up by junior defender Nickolas Taylor (Portsmouth, Va.).
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Couch had a team-best 11 shots, including eight on target, as he posted his first multi-goal contest of the year.
- Stallins' score was his team-leading seventh of the season.
- Freshman goalkeeper Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) made one save, playing the first hour while sophomore Cole Schreiner (Atlanta, Ga.) stopped one shot in the final 30 minutes to combine for the shutout.
Hiwassee Individual Leaders
- Nicholas Fling led the Tigers with two shots while Collin Pitman also notched a shot on target.
- Morgan Moser made 10 saves on the evening, playing the entire match in goal.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry held a 29-5 shot advantage, including a 14-2 margin in shots on goal.
- The Wasps took 10 corner kicks compared to one for the Tigers.
- Emory & Henry will step back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference action on Wednesday when it visits Washington and Lee University.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Generals is set for 4:30 p.m.