HARRISONBURG, Va. – The Eastern Mennonite University Men's Soccer Team (7-3, 1-2 ODAC) broke open a scoreless match with six goals in a 17-minute period to defeat visiting Emory & Henry College (4-6-1, 0-2-1 ODAC) Tuesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Eastern Mennonite 6, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Harrisonburg, Virginia – EMU Turf Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-6-1, 0-2-1 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (7-3, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The opening 67 minutes of play were scoreless before the Royals pounced. Juan Luna took a pass from David Shafer and drove it off the post and into the net for the first score at the 67:55 mark.
- EMU made it 2-0 just over four minutes later as Shafer was back in action with a long pass ahead to Jesus Trejo for the score.
- Shafer and Trejo swapped places for a goal midway through the 79th minute to push the advantage to 3-0.
- Eastern Mennonite got another trio of goals in the final 10 minutes, one each from Troy Davis, David Nester and Joshua Chiquillo for the final 6-0 score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
Senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) and sophomore midfielder Kevin Boeren (Roanoke, Va.) each had four shots to lead the Wasps but could not break through in the contest.
- Junior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) and sophomore defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) each tallied a pair of shots on target.
- Freshman goalkeeper Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) made a career-high 15 saves despite the loss.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Shafer had a goal and two assists on a match-high eight shots with four coming on goal.
- Trejo and Chiquillo each had a goal and an assist to lead the EMU charge.
- Matthew Overacker and Cody Martin combined for the shutout, stopping a total of eight E&H shots on goal.
A Deeper Look
- EMU held a 31-17 lead on shots and a 22-8 margin on shots on target.
- The Royals took eight corner kicks compared to four for the Wasps.
- Eastern Mennonite was flagged twice for being offside while Emory & Henry committed one violation.
- Emory & Henry will conclude its four-match road trip with a Thursday contest at Washington Adventist University on Thursday evening at 5:00 p.m.