WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (4-5-1, 0-1-1 ODAC) batted Shenandoah University (2-8-1, 0-1-1 ODAC) for 110 minutes to a 1-1 draw in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play Saturday evening. It was the second-straight game that the Wasps have been forced to play extra time.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 1, Shenandoah 1
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia – Sprint Field at Shentel Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-5-1, 0-1-1 ODAC); Shenandoah (2-8-1, 0-1-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After a scoreless first half, the Hornets struck first. Nino Todaro broke into the scoring column at the 68:38 mark, assisted by Bryan Maye.
- Emory & Henry got the equalizer with 8:40 to go in regulation as sophomore defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) served up a ball for senior midfielder Edgar Rivas (Brentwood, N.Y.), who drilled it into the back of the net.
- After 90 minutes of play, extra time was required but even with two 10-minute periods, neither squad was able to break through for the match-winner and the scoreline concluded as a 1-1 draw.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Rivas' goal came on two shots while senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) had a team-high three attempts.
- Tager now has two assists on the season, tied for second on the team.
- Freshman goalkeeper Hemza Ababneh (Midlothian, Va.) made six saves in 110:00 between the pipes.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Maye paced the Hornets with six shots while Nick Seymour added five attempts.
- Sam Fisher earned the draw as the SU goalkeeper, stopping four shots.
A Deeper Look
- Shenandoah led the way in shots, 15-10 including an 8-5 margin on shots on target.
- The Wasps had four corner kicks to the Hornets' three, and SU was flagged with the contest's only offside violation.
- The match finished as a 10 v. 8 affair as one E&H player and three from SU received red cards.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Tuesday when it visits Eastern Mennonite University for an ODAC contest.
- The Wasps and Royals will kick off at 7:00 p.m.