EMORY, Va. – The Virginia Wesleyan University Men's Soccer Team (6-2, 1-0 OOAC) scored once in each half Saturday afternoon for a 2-0 win over Emory & Henry College (3-5, 0-1 ODAC) in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference opener for both squads.
FINAL SCORE – Virginia Wesleyan 2, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-5, 0-1 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (6-2, 1-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- VWU got on the board early in the ninth minute as Tyriq Wellman took a breakaway down the right side and ricocheted his shot off the near post and into the net.
- The Marlins made the score 2-0 at the 66:30 mark on a goal by Ikechukwu Etonyeaku. The two-goal margin would hold for the final score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) led the way with three shots, putting one on target.
- Freshman goalkeeper Hemza Ababneh (Midlothian, Va.) made a pair of saves on a total of 11 shots faced.
Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Wellman and Etonyeaku paced the VWU offense with their scores.
- Nick Peterson picked up the shutout win with one save.
A Deeper Look
- Virginia Wesleyan held an 11-7 lead on shots including a 4-1 margin on shots on target.
- The Marlins took seven corner kicks in the match compared to one by the Wasps.
- VWU was called for two offside violations while E&H was penalized once.
- Emory & Henry will step out of league play on Tuesday when it visits Johnson (Tenn.) University.
- The match will take place at Seymour High School with kickoff scheduled for 6:00 p.m.