EMORY, Va. – The Southern Virginia University Men's Soccer Team (2-4, 0-0 CAC) earned a 5-2 win over Emory & Henry College (3-3, 0-0 ODAC) Friday afternoon at Fred Selfe Stadium. The match was the first of a doubleheader as Anderson (Ind.) University defeated Bridgewater College, 2-1, in the nightcap.
FINAL SCORE – Southern Virginia 5, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-3, 0-0 ODAC); Southern Virginia (2-4, 0-0 CAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps got on the board early as freshman forward Wil Rimer (Mill Spring, N.C.) finished a perfect cross from junior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) with a header to an open back post at the 5:09 mark.
- Marrott Weeks gave SVU the equalizers in the 21st minute as Jeremy Wilson found Marrott Weekes for the goal.
- Southern Virginia took the lead, 2-1, with 8:52 to go before halftime as Wilson linked up with Matt Diede.
- Wilson got into the goal scoring column just 2:28 after the half as he headed in a free kick from Nathan Allen.
- Emory & Henry closed the gap to 3-2 midway through the 54thh minute as senior midfielder Randal Colquitt (Las Vegas, Nev.) took a pass from sophomore midfielder Andrew Kincaid (Fredericksburg, Va.) inside the box and finished it in the top left-hand side of the goal.
- The Knights added a pair of insurance goals in the 79th minute and the 86th minute for the 5-2 final.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) had a team-high four shots while Stallins added three attempts.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Cole Schreiner (Atlanta, Ga.) posted one save in 50 minutes before leaving the game while freshman Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) added a save of his own.
Southern Virginia Individual Leaders
- Weekes had two goals while Wilson posted a goal and two assists to lead the Knights' attack.
- Colin Flynn picked up the win in frame, making four saves across the 90 minute contest.
A Deeper Look
- The squads were tied, 15-15, on shots and, 7-7, on shots on goal.
- The Wasps took six corner kicks compared to four for the Knights.
- SVU was called offside three times in the match while E&H committed one violation.
- Emory & Henry remains at home on Saturday, hosting Anderson (Ind.) University at 5:30 p.m.
- Southern Virginia will play Bridgewater following the E&H-AU match to round out the weekend's play.