MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (1-0, 0-0 ODAC) kicked off the 2017 season with a convincing 4-0 win over Penn State University-Mont Alto (0-1, 0-0 PSUAC) Friday evening. Senior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) made history for the Wasps with his goal in the fifth minute and now holds the E&H record for goals scored in a career (28).
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 4, Penn State-Mont Alto 0
LOCATION – Mont Alto, Pennsylvania – The Soccer Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-0, 0-0 ODAC); Penn State-Mont Alto (0-1, 0-0 PSUAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got on the board just 4:50 into the match when Couch struck paydirt for his record-setting goal. Sophomore defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) was credited with the assist.
- The Wasps made it 3-0 after 20 minutes played as junior forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) scored an unassisted goal in the 13th and junior midfielder Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) found the back of the net in the 20th. Couch earned the assist on Foley's score.
- Emory & Henry added a final goal for the 4-0 margin with 6:45 to play. Sophomore midfielder Kevin Boeren (Roanoke, Va.) took a pass from junior Joel Tidman (Milford, Va.) and sent it home for the score.
- Sophomore Cole Schreiner (Atlanta, Ga.) earned the win in goal, playing 58 minutes while freshmen Samuel Irvin (Charlottesville, Va.) and Hemza Ababneh (Midlothian, Va.) each spent time between the pipes as the trio combined for the shutout.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Couch's goal and assist led the way while Stallins put both of his attempts on frame, scoring once.
- Senior forward Cody Carruth (Powhatan, Va.) took four shots on the evening to lead all players.
- Irvin and Ababneh each made a save during their time in goal.
Penn State-Mont Alto Individual Leaders
- Will Gray and Soumana Coulibaly had the two offensive attempts for Mont Alto.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry held a 21-2 lead on shots with nine of their attempts going on frame.
- The Wasps dominated on corner kicks as well, 15-0.
- Emory & Henry will open the home portion of its schedule on Sunday when it hosts the University of Valley Forge at Fred Selfe Stadium.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Patriots is set for noon.