EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (8-4, 1-2 ODAC) reached the eight-win mark for just the second time in program history with a 4-2 win over visiting Shenandoah University (0-11, 0-3 ODAC) Saturday night.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 4, Shenandoah 2
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-4, 1-2 ODAC); Shenandoah (0-11, 0-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps got out to a 1-0 lead at the 11:11 mark when freshman defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) struck a free kick into the back of the net from the right side of the field.
- Just five minutes before halftime, Emory & Henry doubled its advantage when senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.) found junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) with a long ball down the right flank that Couch hit for his league-leading 17th score of the year. The assist was Quest's 12th this season.
- After the break, E&H made the score 3-0 in the 59th minute as sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) got a breakout down the right side, dribbled in and struck the ball past the goalkeeper.
- Just 48 second later, Shenandoah got on the board with a goal from Sam Natkin. Austin McCarron's free kick earned the assist as the score became 3-1.
- The Wasps pushed their advantage to 4-1 with 5:03 left to play as Stallins scored his second goal of the half. This time, sophomore defender Nickolas Taylor (Portsmouth, Va.) got the assist.
- Shenandoah got the final score of the match at the 86:00 mark when Matt Sweeny cleaned up a deflected shot by Brian Maye for the 4-2 final.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Stallins led the way with two goals on three shots while Tager and Couch also scored.
- Quest had five attempts, two of which went on frame.
- Senior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) earned the win in goal, making four saves.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Sweeny and Natkin each had four shots in the match, giving the Hornets their offensive output.
- Keegan Fairchild played the entire 90 minutes between the pipes, stopping a pair of shots.
A Deeper Look
- Shenandoah led Emory & Henry, 16-14, however the squads each put six attempts on target.
- The Hornets edged the Wasps 5-4 on corner kicks, but were called offside on four different occasions.
- With eight victories on the year, the Wasps are now chasing their 1995 record of 13-4-1 for highest win total in program history.
- The Wasps move their series record to 4-0-3 against the Hornets including a 3-0-2 mark since SU joined the ODAC in the 2012 season.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road on Tuesday when it visits Guilford College for an ODAC matchup.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Quakers is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass