EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (6-2) scored seven goals in the opening half en route to a 9-1 win over visiting Hiwassee College (5-8) Monday evening. The match was the second leg of a home-and-home between the two squads with E&H coming away with a 14-1 aggregate score.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 9, Hiwassee 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-2, 0-1 ODAC); Hiwassee (5-8)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got the scoring going in the fourth minute as freshman defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.) served up a free kick which found the head of sophomore defender Joel Tidman (Milford, Va.) and into the back of the net.
- Junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) tallied his nation-leading 13th goal of the season at the 13:23 mark as Tager earned his second assist of the match.
- Just after the half-hour mark, senior Ian Smith (Waynesville, N.C.) went on a scoring tear. The midfielder netted a hat trick (three goals) in just 5:43 of game time. His first was assisted by Couch, his second was a clinical header on a corner kick from senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.) while his third came on a strike in the middle of the field from sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.).
- Tager got his third assist of the half late in the 40th minute, crossing a ball in from the left side for a one-timer by junior forward Keith Norris (Marion, Va.).
- An own-goal by a Hiwassee defender attempting to break up a cross made the 7-0 halftime margin.
- The Wasps got a goal in the 63rd from freshman forward Austin Hylton (Chester, Va.) assisted by Norris and the final score came with 8:44 to play on a finish by freshman midfielder Kevin Boeren (Roanoke, Va.) after taking possession inside the six yard box.
- Hiwassee found its way onto the score sheet at the 88:05 mark as Angel Arellano converted a penalty kick.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Smith's hat trick marked not only his first goals of the season, but the first time he has found the back of the net as a college player.
- Couch and Norris each notched a goal and an assist in the match while Tager also earned three points with his trio of assists.
- Couch's 13th goal of the year not only leads the ODAC and NCAA Division III but also players from NCAA Division I and Division II programs.
- Senior Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) picked up the win in goal for the Wasps, stopping two shots in a full 90 minutes played.
Hiwassee Individual Leaders
- Arellano had a total of two shots in the match including his penalty kick score.
- Morgan Moser made nine saves in the match despite allowing nine scores.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry led in shots, 34-3, putting 18 strikes on frame.
- The Wasps took 14 corner kicks in the match with 11 coming in the first half while the Tigers just two corners in the contest.
- With their sixth win of the year, the Wasps have ensured at least their seventh-most wins in program history for the season.
- Emory & Henry has now scored 31 goals on the year which is tied for fourth-best for a single year.
- Emory & Henry will be back in action at Fred Selfe Stadium on Wednesday evening against Johnson (Tenn.) University at 6:30 p.m.
- The Wasps and Royals have met once before, during the 2001 season. That contest resulted in an 11-1 victory for E&H.