DEMOREST, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (4-0) tied its best-ever start to the season Wednesday with a 3-2 double-overtime victory over Piedmont College (). The Wasps of 2005 started their season with a 4-0 record as well.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Piedmont 2 (2OT)
LOCATION – Demorest, Ga. – Walker Athletic Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-0, 0-0 ODAC); Piedmont (2-2-1, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Victor Munoz got things going for Piedmont with a goal in the 33rd minute, assisted by Griffin Giles. The 1-0 margin would hold through the end of the first 45.
- Sophomore defender Joel Tidman (Milford, Va.) got the equalizer 10 minutes into the second half heading in a corner kick by senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.).
- The Lions jumped right back ahead 88 seconds later (56:48) as Munoz and Luke Martin assisted on a score by Diego Godinez.
- With just under 11 minutes to play in regulation, E&H scored another corner kick goal. It was junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) on the business end this time, finishing with a header to the back post.
- The score would hold, 2-2, through 90 minutes of regulation setting into motion two 10-minute periods of sudden victory soccer.
- Both teams had chances in the first extra period, but it was with 37 seconds remaining in the second overtime that Emory & Henry broke through to take the match.
- On yet another corner kick, Quest served up a ball to find the head of Tidman for his second tally of the game, the match-winner.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Tidman scored on both of his shot attempts in the contest to lead the way with four points while Couch had four shots in the match putting his one attempt on frame in the back of the net.
- With three assists, Quest put himself third in the Emory & Henry record book for helpers in a match.
- Freshman Cole Schreiner (Atlanta, Ga.) made it back-to-back wins in the net, playing the entire 109:23 and making one save.
Piedmont Individual Leaders
- Munoz was the leader for the Lions with a goal and an assist on three shots.
- Godinez had the team's other score while Martin and Giles provided assists.
- Mitch Barry played the full time in goal, stopping two E&H shots.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry held a 14-12 lead on shots and put five of its attempts on net.
- The Wasps were dominant in earning 10 corner kicks, as set pieces played an integral role in the win. The Lions took just four corners.
- The win was the first in the all-time series for Emory & Henry as Piedmont had claimed victory in the previous four meetings.
- Emory & Henry's last four-match winning streak came in 2007 when the Wasps reeled off six-straight for a 6-1 start after falling in their opening contest.
- The Wasps find themselves on the good side of a double-overtime decision for the first time since 2009. E&H fell by late goals in two contests last year that went past 100 minutes of play and earned draws in two others.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Saturday when it visits Hiwassee College in Madisonville, Tennessee at 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday's contest will be the first-ever meeting between the Tigers and the Wasps.
-photo courtesy of Caleb Johnston, E&H '15