PHOENIXVILLE, Pa. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (2-0) earned its largest win in 10 years Saturday with a 7-1 victory over the University of Valley Forge (1-1). The Wasps move to 2-0 on the season for the first time since 2011.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 7, Valley Forge 1
LOCATION – Phoenixville, Pa. – UVF Soccer Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-0, 0-0 ODAC); Valley Forge (1-1)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got on the board early and often, scoring five times in the opening 25 minutes of play.
- Junior forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) took a pass from senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.) to start the scoring 2:31 into the contest.
- Valley Forge equalized midway through the ninth minute on a penalty kick goal by Samuel Ngoi Bikim.
- Couch scored his second in the 14th minute and sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) got a goal at the 20:11 mark to make the score 3-1.
- Emory & Henry kept the offense going as Quest and Couch connected again in the 22nd minute to complete Couch's hat trick. The duo switched places at the 24:33 mark to put Quest in the scoring column for the second time on the year.
- With 20 minutes left in the match, Couch tied the Emory & Henry record for goals in a match by putting his fourth score into the net.
- Twenty-nine seconds later (70:21), freshman midfielder Jonathan Baca (Chesapeake, Va.) tallied his first career goal to give E&H seven for the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Couch finished the day with four goals on 13 shots and two assists, tying the school record for goals in a match. His 10 points are second-most in a match in program history.
- Stallins had six shots on the day, putting only strike on frame in the back of the net.
- Quest added a goal on four shots and two assists in the contest, helping on two of Couch's scores.
- Freshman Mike Williams (Fredericksburg, Va.) and junior Daniel Scharisch (Newport News, Va.) split time in goal, with Scharisch making two saves and Williams one.
Valley Forge Individual Leaders
- Bikim had the lone goal for the Patriots, and also accounted for two of the team's five shots.
- Billy Perron had two shots including one on goal off the bench.
- Aaron Sierra played 74:13 in goal, making eight saves despite allowing seven goals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry out-shot Valley Forge, 34-5, including a 16-4 margin in shots on goal.
- E&H took nine corner kicks on the afternoon while UVF was without a corner.
- The two squads were called offside once each in the match.
- The seven goals scored by Emory & Henry is the most since putting 11 past Pikeville College on Sept. 6, 2006.
- E&H and UVF met for the first time in program history last year, a 6-0 win by the Wasps.
- The Wasps are 2-0 to start the year for the first time since 2011. That season, E&H went 4-13 (1-9 ODAC).
- Emory & Henry will host Earlham College on Sunday, September 11 at 11:00 a.m. at Fred Selfe Stadium.
- The match will be part of a two-day, three-match slate with E&H, Earlham, Brevard College and Ferrum College participating.
- The Wasps will meet the Quakers for the third year in a row with this year's meeting as EC's first trip to Southwest Virginia.