Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Roanoke Men’s Soccer Escapes With A 3-2 Double Overtime Win Friday At Emory & Henry

Roanoke Men’s Soccer Escapes With A 3-2 Double Overtime Win Friday At Emory & Henry

EMORY, Va. – The Roanoke College Men's Soccer Team (9-4-1, 5-1-1 ODAC) needed nearly a full 110 minutes, but with 1:13 remaining in the second overtime, scored the match-winning goal to win, 3-2 over Emory & Henry College (4-5-3, 2-3-2 ODAC) Friday night at Fred Selfe Stadium.

Roanoke was picked to finish first in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference this year, taking seven of the 12 first-place votes, as polled by the 12 head coaches in the league.

The Maroons got on the board at the 25:50 mark on a penalty kick goal by Tim Mahabir. The penalty was earned when a challenge near the end line on the right side not only dispossessed the ball handler but also sent him to the turf.

The Wasps got their best chance of the first half with eight and a half minutes to go before the break. When a pass back to the goalkeeper was poorly controlled, E&H freshman forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) went in to challenge the RC net-minder. The two went shoulder-to-shoulder for the ball and fell to the pitch, but play continued without a stoppage.

Emory & Henry got its first goal just 58 seconds into the second half. Sophomore forward Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) hit a pass ahead to Stallins, who chipped the ball over the head of the goalkeeper to tie the score 1-1.

E&H made it 2-1 twelve minutes later when freshman defender Nickolas Taylor (Portsmouth, Va.) slid a cross from the right side to the back post where freshman midfielder Colin Foley (Chesapeake, Va.) one-timed it into the back of the net.

In the 68th minute, the Maroons equalized the score at two goals apiece. Oreistis Llias hit a pass across the face of the goal which found the foot of Rob Lentine, who finished to the back post. The score would remain 2-2 through 90 minutes, forcing a pair of overtime periods.

Roanoke dominated play, but the Emory & Henry defense held strong until the ninth minute of the second overtime with Llias connected with Lentine for the match-winner.

Cole Sinclair earned the win in goal for the Maroons, making four saves. Emory & Henry junior goalkeeper Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) made 15 saves despite the loss, including a masterful stop in the final moments of regulation.

Emory & Henry will return to action on Monday when it travels to face off against Ferrum College in a non-conference matchup. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.


-photo courtesy of Caleb Johnston, E&H '15