KODAK, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Golf Teams braved bitter cold conditions all day Monday as they opened the "spring" portion of their seasons at the Hiwassee Spring Invitational. The two-day, 36-hole event is being played at the River Islands Golf Club in Kodak, Tennessee.
Through the first round, the E&H women sit in second place while the men are fifth.
Tournament – Hiwassee Spring Invitational
Host – Hiwassee College
Format – Stroke Play/36 holes/5-count-4
Course – River Islands Golf Club
Location – Kodak, Tennessee
Par – 36-36 – 72
Length – 7,010 Yards (Men); 5,874 (Women)
- Sophomore Wesley Jones (Seymour, Tenn.) is tied for 12th overall at +16 (88) while sophomore Blake Benson (Knoxville, Tenn.) sits tied for 16th (+18; 90).
- Sophomore Isfandyar Khan (Lahore, PAKISTAN) and junior Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) are tied for 18th and 21st, respectively while sophomore Hunter Watson (Jonesville, Va.) is 26th overall.
- Tyler Smith of Bob Jones University leads the field by three strokes after shooting a 75 (+3) on Monday. Bryan College is first in the team competition after firing a 333 (+45), five shots ahead of the University of Rio Grande.
- Sophomore Chandler Thomas (Elizabethton, Tenn.) leads the Wasps with a score of 100 (+28) in fifth place while junior Ashley Underwood (Strawberry Plains, Tenn.) is sixth at +34 (106).
- Senior Laura Mister (Herndon, Va.) carded a 113 to sit tied for ninth while junior Skylar Hill (Meadowview, Va.) turned in a 127 in her first collegiate round, which was good for 12th.
- Rafaella Giooffre of Rio Grande (+10) leads Kate Matthews of Bob Jones University by two strokes. Rio Grande shot a +95 as a team to lead the way with three of the top four players in the field.
- Emory & Henry will conclude action in the Hiwassee Spring Invitational on Tuesday.