AMHERST, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Golf Team posted a ninth-place finish out of 13 competing teams at the Lynchburg Invitational. The event was the second of four tournaments on the schedule for the Wasps this spring.
Tournament – Lynchburg Invitational
Host – Lynchburg College
Format – Stroke Play/36 holes/5-count-4
Course – Poplar Grove Golf Club
Location – Amherst, Virginia
Par – 36-36 - 72
- Sophomore Tanner Carter (Saltville, Va.) led the Wasps on Monday, shooting a +9 (81) while sophomore Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) was one stroke behind at 82 (+10).
- Junior Wes Blaylock (Bristol, Va.) carded an 84 (+12) while freshmen Blake Benson (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Wesley Jones (Seymour, Tenn.) turned in scores of 89 (+17) and 91 (+19), respectively.
- Blaylock made it back-to-back rounds of 84, moving up four places to finish tied for 38th (168; +24) while Andrade and Carter finished tied for 40th at 169 (+25).
- Jones carved 10 shots off his Monday score to shoot 81 (+9) for a two-day total of 172 and a 45th-place finish.
- Benson rounded out the team with a score of +32 (89-87 – 176) to finish 49th.
- North Carolina Wesleyan College took the team championship after firing rounds of 307 and 296 to finish at +27 (603).
- Methodist University's "B Team" was eight strokes back at +35 while Pfeiffer University took third (+41).
- NCWC's Dustin Wood claimed the individual title with a score of 146 (+2). His round of 70 on Monday was the low round of the tournament. Averett University's Jorgen Buskbjerk finished one shot back at 147 (+3) for the event.
- Emory & Henry will return to the course next Monday and Tuesday in the Glen Heath Memorial hosted by The Apprentice School. The tournament will take place at the Williamsburg Golf Club in Williamsburg, Virginia.