RICHMOND, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Golf Team finished tied for 10th out of 20 teams at the 68th Virginia State Golf Association Intercollegiate Championship Tuesday. The Wasps finished in the top half of the field which included 10 of the 11 programs from the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.
Tournament – 68th Virginia State Golf Association Intercollegiate Championship
Host – Virginia Union University/VSGA
Format – Stroke Play/36 holes/5-count-4
Course – Stonehenge Golf & Country Club
Location – Richmond, Virginia
Length – 6,660 Yards (Round 1); 6,725 Yards (Round 2)
Par – 36-35 – 71
Emory & Henry
- E&H closed the tournament by shooting a 305 (+21) for the second day in a row to finish the event at +42 (610).
- Sophomore Carlos Andrade (Guayaquil, ECUADOR) shot a 74 (+3) on Tuesday to finish +5 for the tournament and tied for 12th overall.
- Junior Wes Blaylock (Bristol, Va.) put up a team-best 73 (+2) for the day, moving up 31 spots to finish tied for 26th.
- Sophomore Ben Owen (Rogersville, Tenn.) shot a +8 (79) to card a 153 (+11) and tie for 39th while freshmen Chase Burt (Jefferson City, Tenn.) and Wesley Jones (Seymour, Tenn.) finished tied for 73rd at +20 (162).
- Damian Beasley of Ferrum College carded a 68 on Tuesday to go along with Monday's 69 for a two-day total of 137 (-5) and medalist honors. Christopher Newport University's Joey Corlett was second at -2 (69-71 -140).
- Virginia Wesleyan University claimed the team title with a score of +24 (289-303 – 592) while the University of Mary Washington (+27) and CNU (+29) took second and third.
- Emory & Henry will have a quick turnaround before its next tournament, the O'Briant-Jensen Memorial, hosted by Guilford College, which will be next Monday and Tuesday.
- The 36-hole event will be played at the Pete Dye Course of the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, North Carolina.