SALEM, Va. – The #2 Guilford College Men's Basketball Team (19-7) built a 14-point second-half lead and held off a pair of runs down the stretch by seventh-seeded Emory & Henry College (17-10) for a 77-67 victory in the 2019 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals Thursday evening.
Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) tied the Emory & Henry record for rebounds in a career with six boards on the night. He finishes his career with 1,020 boards, equaling John Smith's (1968-72) mark.
FINAL SCORE – #2 Guilford 77, #7 Emory & Henry 67
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – Salem Civic Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-10, 9-7 ODAC); Guilford (19-7, 12-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Guilford raced out to a 13-0 lead at the 14:51 mark of the first half. The Wasps put together an 18-6 run as senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) hit four three-pointers to draw the score to 19-18 with 8:49 on the clock.
- GC pushed the margin back to nine (31-22) with 4:29 to go but a 10-2 run by E&H got it within one again at 33-32. The Quakers took a 39-32 lead into the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, E&H closed the gap to four (41-37) on a dunk by Wynn but Guilford pushed the margin to 55-42 with 12:10 to play.
- Seven in a row by the Quakers gave them their largest lead of the game, 65-51, but a 10-2 run by the Wasps made it a two-possession game with less than four to play.
- Emory & Henry threatened inside two minutes but six in a row by Guilford sealed the 77-67 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Hendricks scored 14 of his team-high 23 points in the first half, hitting a total of seven three-pointers in the contest, adding five rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) posted 16 points, five rebounds and three assists while junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) had 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Kyler Gregory led the Quakers with 21 points, missing out on a double-double by one rebound while Marcus Curry had 20 points and seven rebounds.
- Carson Long and Joah Logan contributed 13 and 10 points, respectively, while Jaylen Gore had nine points, 10 rebounds, four assists and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 26-for-66 (39.4%) for the game, hitting 10 three-pointers. The Wasps were a perfect 5-for-5 from the free throw line.
- Guilford connected on 44.4 percent (24-for-54) of its field goals with eight makes from long range. The Quakers scored 21 points at the free throw line (87.5%).
- GC held a 42-30 rebounding advantage and used 12 offensive boards to lead, 14-10, on second-chance points.
- The Wasps outscored the Quakers, 24-20, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry concludes the season with a 17-10 overall record, making its fourth-straight trip to the ODAC Tournament Quarterfinals.
- This year's senior class finishes their career with a 73-37 overall record, the most wins in a four-year period in more than 25 years.