EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (17-9, 9-7 ODAC) punched its ticket to a spot in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Quarterfinals with a 60-57 win over #10 Eastern Mennonite University (10-16, 5-11 ODAC) Monday evening at home.
FINAL SCORE – #7 Emory & Henry 60, #10 Eastern Mennonite 57
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-9, 9-7 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (10-16, 5-11 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry scored the first six points of the game but Eastern Mennonite's offense caught fire and reeled off a 13-2 run for a 13-8 lead with 11:09 left in the half.
- The Wasps trimmed the margin to one (21-20) with 5:31 to go before the break before the Royals hit another spurt to take a 32-26 advantage into the locker room.
- Returning to action, E&H tied the contest at 34 points apiece setting off four minutes of back-and-forth basketball. Down by a 42-41 score, the Wasps scored seven in a row to lead 48-42 but the Royals closed the gap back to even at 48- and 50-all.
- The squads continued to fight with EMU taking its final lead of the game, 55-54, with 1:41 left. E&H scored the next five points to hold a four-point lead (59-55) with 23 seconds left which was enough to manufacture the 60-57 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) led the Wasps with 16 points, four rebounds, five assists and two steals while senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had 13 points and six boards.
- Senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) posted 11 points, hitting three from long range, three blocks and two rebounds as sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) tacked on eight points, three rebounds and three steals.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Travis Clower posted a game-high 17 points, hitting a trio of three-pointers, and added four rebounds.
- Sammy Thomas had 10 points, seven rebounds and two steals while Tim Jones notched eight points and two assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made just 39.2 percent (20-of-51) of its field goal attempts. The Wasps shot 44 percent in the second half to spur themselves to the win as they scored 15 points at the free throw line.
- Eastern Mennonite went 24-for-49 (49%) for the game with three makes from beyond the arc. The Royals were perfect in their six trips to the line.
- EMU held a 34-24 rebounding advantage and dominated the paint, 42-24.
- The Wasps forced the Royals into 22 errors and posted a 22-8 lead on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry advances to the Quarterfinals of the 2019 ODAC Tournament where it will face #2-seeded Guilford College on Thursday evening at 6:00 p.m.
- The tournament will be held at the Salem Civic Center in Salem, Virginia with the quarterfinal round on Thursday, the semifinals on Saturday and the championship game on Sunday.