EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (16-9, 9-7 ODAC) got back on track Saturday afternoon as it won a convincing 83-42 victory over Hampden-Sydney College (4-18, 1-15 ODAC). The game also served as Senior Day for the Wasps, who honored their three seniors in a ceremony prior to tipoff.
Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) made the most of the contest as he etched his name three times in the Emory & Henry record books. With his fifth point, he became the 16th player in program history to reach the 1,000-point plateau and also pulled down his 1,000th career rebound to become just the second player in program history with 1,000 boards. Wynn is the only E&H player to have amassed 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds in his career.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 83, Hampden-Sydney 42
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (16-9, 9-7 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (4-18, 1-15 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps got out to a 12-5 lead at the 15:12 mark of the game and never looked back, pushing the margin to 30-7 with 7:01 to go in the half. The two squads traded buckets on their way into the locker room with E&H leading, 42-17, at the break.
- Emory & Henry continued to put the pressure on early in the second, extending the margin to 50-21 with 15:40 to play. Up by 23 (60-37) with 7:39 to go the Wasps went on a 23-5 run to close the game as nine of the 10 players who suited up found their way into the scoring column.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) put up a game-high 21 points and pulled down six rebounds while sophomore guard Dylan Felty (Bristol, Va.) had 12 points on four-for-four shooting off the bench.
- Wynn finished the game with 11 points and 13 rebounds while sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) had 11 points, three rebounds and two steals.
Hampden-Sydney Individual Leaders
- Cole Atwood led the Tigers with nine points and four rebounds off the bench while Brendan McHale and Jake Hahn had six points apiece.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 29-for-65 (44.6%) for the game with 14 three-pointers. The Wasps made just 55 percent (11-of-20) of their free throw attempts.
- Hampden-Sydney were a cold 29.1 percent (16-of-55) from the field and also struggled at the line, converting on 7-of-14 (50%) of their shots.
- E&H held a 51-34 rebounding advantage and used 17 offensive rebounds for a 10-3 margin on second-chance points.
- The Wasps led 26-18 on points in the paint and took advantage of 18 Tiger turnovers for a 21-12 margin on their ensuing possessions.
- Emory & Henry will await the announcement of the pairing of the 2019 ODAC Tournament which will come from the league office on Saturday evening.
- A potential first-round game would be played at the John Rutledge King Center on Monday at 7:00 p.m.