GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Guilford College Men's Basketball Team (18-6, 12-3 ODAC) finshed the game on a 7-0 run for a 67-60 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (15-9, 8-7 ODAC) Wednesday evening in the next to last game of the regular season for both squads.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 67, Emory & Henry 60
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina
VENUE – Ragan-Brown Field House
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-9, 8-7 ODAC); Guilford (18-6, 12-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams traded baskets for the first four minutes of the game before Emory & Henry went on a 10-6 run to lead 17-11 with just under 10 minutes to go before the intermission.
- Down 27-20, Guilford scored 10 in a row to take a 30-27 lead and ran the spurt to 13-2 for a 33-29 advantage at the break.
- The Quakers pressed the advantage to 35-29 with the first bucket of the second half but the Wasps scored seven in a row to go up 36-35 with 18:17 on the clock.
- E&H and GC went shot-for-shot for the majority of the second half with Emory & Henry tying things up a 60 apeice with 3:10 left to play. Guilford took control in the final minutes of the game to pull away with the 67-60 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) led the Wasps with 16 points, eight rebounds, eight assists and five steals while senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) put up 12 points and four boards.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) had 11 points and five rebounds while senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) tacked on 10 points, five rebounds and two blocks.
Guilford Individual Leaders
- Kyler Gregory posted a game-high 18 points and added three rebounds and two steals while Marcus Curry had a double-double with 13 points, 10 rebounds and four assists.
- Carson Long put up 12 points and four rebounds while Jaylen Gore had 11 points and four boards of his own.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit just 38.6 percent (22-of-57) of its field goal attempts but connected on seven three-pointers. The Wasps made just 9-of-16 (56.3%) of their chances at the stripe.
- Guilford shot 25-for-56 (44.6%) for the game with six makes from long range and were a hot 11-of-13 (84.6%) at the free throw line.
- GC held a 41-28 rebounding advantage and a 12-8 lead on the offensive glass but E&H edged its way ahead, 7-6, on second-chance points.
- The Quakers posted a 32-24 lead on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the regular season on Saturday at 4:30 p.m., when it hosts Hampden-Sydney College.
- The contest which will serve as Senior Day for the Wasps, will be the second game in a doubleheader with the E&H women's team.