VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Virginia Wesleyan University Men's Basketball Team (11-12, 9-5 ODAC) scored the go-ahead basket with nine seconds remaining and held off a last-second shot by Emory & Henry College (15-8, 8-6 ODAC) to win, 71-69, Saturday in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Virginia Wesleyan 71, Emory & Henry 69
LOCATION – Virginia Beach, Virginia
VENUE – Jane P. Batten Student Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-8, 8-6 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (11-12, 9-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 9-2 lead early and pressed the margin to 17-6 with 12:25 on the clock.
- The Wasps used a 7-2 run later in the half to get their largest lead of the game, 27-14. The Marlins then went on an 11-2 run to close the gap to four (29-25) on the way to a 34-32 E&H lead at the intermission.
- Virginia Wesleyan got its first lead of the game, 35-34, with 19:49 left to play. Down by seven (50-43), the Wasps used a 20-5 run to retake the lead, 63-55.
- E&H would lead by as many as 10 points in the second half (67-57) before VWU began its comeback. The Marlins finished the game on a 14-2 run to complete the rally and secure the 71-69 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Emory & Henry placed four starters in double figures led by junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) with 23 points, six rebounds and four steals.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) had 13 points, six rebounds, four assists and two steals while senior Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) put up yet another double-double with 12 points and 17 rebounds.
- Senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) added 11 points, three rebounds and two steals.
Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Lamont Steward led all players with 28 points and made it a double-double with 13 rebounds.
- Corey Pelham posted 15 points while Tim Fisher went for 12 points and seven rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 24-for-60 (40%) for the game with five three-pointers. The Wasps made 72.7 percent (16-of-22) of their free throws.
- Virginia Wesleyan made just 38.6 percent (22-of-57) of its shots and connected on six triples. The Marlins converted 21-of-29 (72.4%) attempts at the stripe.
- VWU held a 41-39 rebounding advantage but E&H got the edge, 13-11, on second-chance points.
- The Wasps led 34-22 on points in the paint while the Marlins posted a 20-16 margin on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Wednesday when it visits Guilford College for a 7:00 p.m., matchup with the Quakers.