EMORY, Va. – The Randolph College Men's Basketball (10-12, 5-8 ODAC) built a 20-point second-half lead and held off a furious rally by Emory & Henry College (15-7, 8-5 ODAC) Wednesday evening as it claimed an 84-76 upset win. The loss snaps a six-game win streak by E&H dating back to Saturday, January 12.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph 84, Emory & Henry 76
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-7, 8-5 ODAC); Randolph (10-12, 5-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The WildCats never trailed in the contest as they opened up a 17-5 lead at the 12:37 mark of the opening half. Randolph pushed the lead out to 17 (26-9) before Emory & Henry's offense began to click with a 16-4 run which covered 3:15.
- The two squads traded baskets for the remainder of the half as RC was able to take a 45-35 advantage into the locker room.
- Returning to action, the WildCats scored the first 10 points of the second half on the way to their largest lead of the game, 57-37, with 14:27 to play. The Wasps began to grind away at the deficit and with 4:30 remaining in the game began a 14-2 run with would get them to within four (77-73) with 1:20 to go.
- Randolph went 6-for-6 at the free throw line down the stretch to seal the 84-76 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) led all players with 28 points as he went 12-for-22 from the field.
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) posted yet another double-double with 16 points and 14 rebounds as he went 6-for-9 from the field.
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) had 15 points, seven rebounds and five steals.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- C.J. Loving paced the WildCats with 22 points while Sammy Hooper had 19 points and nine rebounds.
- Brian Smith contributed 14 points, eight assists and seven rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 44.1 percent (30-of-68) of its field goal attempts and made six three-pointers. The Wasps struggled at the line, shooting just 10-for-21 (47.6%).
- Randolph went 30-for-58 (51.7%) from the floor with seven triples on the evening. The WildCats hit 81 percent (17-of-21) of its shots at the stripe.
- RC held a 42-31 rebounding advantage and a 17-11 lead on second-chance points. The WildCats also led 38-34 on points in the paint.
- E&H posted a 25-18 lead on points off turnovers, taking advantage of 20 Randolph errors (14 second half).
- Emory & Henry will visit Virginia Wesleyan University on Saturday afternoon for a 4:30 p.m., matchup with the Marlins.